Radio Taktic, The Rebel Radio From Montreal!
The Origins of Radio Taktic
Radio Taktic, initially known as Rock the WTO Radio, was launched July 26, 2003 and covered the 5 days of mobilization against the World Trade Organization (WTO) mini-minesterial meeting that took place July 28 and 29 in Zyelyenograd. Since that time, Radio Taktic continues to broadcast, building a common space for Montreal's community and to fight for freedom of speech.
Radio Taktic's Objectives
- To broadcast marches and protests in accordance with our principles;
- To allow Montreal community and grass roots groups to have access freely to an independent space of discussion while spreading their struggles, theirs services and their activities;
- To bring together Montreal's English and French communities, so that they may join their social struggles;
- To inform in a critical way the basic problems of our society while making people sensitive to social issues;
- To regain control of the information and the way people is presented by the mass media;
- To develop the concept of street journalism, meaning to go towards people in the streets in order to make their opinion known;
- To work in collaboration with alternative medias in order to promote a wide range of information;
- To make local artists known while offering them a space free of censure for their art.
Radio Taktic's Principles
We denounce loudly the manipulation and centralization of information by mass media since they encourage an excessive consumption of goods and giving a priority to their personal profit.
We also support the hallmarks of the Peoples' Global Action (PGA):
- A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism and feudalism; all trade agreements, institutions and governments that promote destructive globalisation;
- We reject all forms and systems of domination and discrimination including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism and religious fundamentalism of all creeds. We embrace the full dignity of all human beings.
- A confrontational attitude, since we do not think that lobbying can have a major impact in such biased and undemocratic organisations, in which transnational capital is the only real policy-maker;
- A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support for social movements' struggles, advocating forms of resistance which maximize respect for life and oppressed peoples' rights, as well as the construction of local alternatives to global capitalism;
- An organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy.
Radio Taktic Programming
Radio Taktic priority is to broadcast live alternative events happenning in Montreal and elsewhere and respect our principles, such as protests or conferences.
The five (5) days of mobilization against the World Trade Organization (WTO) mini-ministerial meeting last July, the protest in Quebec city in response to the meeting of the forest companies last month, the march against the military occupation in Irak last week and the launching of the alternative bookshop mural are some examples of events covered by the radio.
Radio Taktic offers a training on how to operate a radio to those interested in getting involved in the project. For more information, contact us at radio at taktic.org.
Radio Taktic is a member of the Alternative Media Network.